Betting bible the Racing Post is to implement stringent new security measures after suffering an aggressive attack that saw customer details stolen.
According to a statement
, the website “is completely safe to use” after it removed all log-in and registration functionality. It confirmed that it suffered a security breach after its site was “the subject of a sophisticated, sustained and aggressive attack on Friday and Saturday, in which one of our databases was accessed and customer details were stolen”.
It confirmed that customer’ credit and debit card details are not stored on the site and have therefore not been accessed and are not at risk, and that betting takes place directly with the bookmaker so has been unaffected.
It said: “The information at risk from the database that was compromised will vary in the case of each customer, depending on how much information you gave us when you registered.
It includes: usernames, first and last names, encrypted passwords, email and customer addresses and date of birth.”
Racing Post editor Bruce Millington said: “Security is an area we take extremely seriously and our website has not been compromised previously. As soon as we were aware of the situation we did everything in our power to halt the breach.
“We are extremely sorry that this unfortunate incident has occurred. We believe it may be part of a wider attack on a number of companies. We thank you for your patience and understanding.”
The Racing Post told Tech Week Europe
that the number of those affected would be in the “six figure” region, Racing Post editor Bruce Millington told TechWeekEurope.