New survey reveals that enterprise storage budgets will see strong growth in 2016 as spending transitions to public cloud environments and next-generation technologies
According to the results of 451 Research’s new Voice of the Enterprise survey, organizations will continue to transform their storage environments in 2016, with most expecting to increase their storage spending over the next year. Notably, the research reveals that the proportion of spending on public cloud storage services will at least double over the next two years, largely at the expense of traditional, on-premises storage.
“The storage infrastructure may have proven itself hardy to change over the years, but it is not immune to the same uber-trends that are fundamentally disrupting the role of IT at organizations of all sizes, ” said Simon Robinson, Research Vice President at 451, and Research Director of the new Voice of the Enterprise: Storage service. “IT managers are recognizing the need for storage transformation to meet the realities of the new Digital Economy, especially in terms of improved efficiency and agility in the face of relentless data growth. It’s clear from our Q4 study that emerging options, especially Public Cloud Storage and All-Flash Array technologies, will be increasingly important components in this transformation.”
The inaugural Voice of the Enterprise: Storage study focuses on end-user trends in enterprise storage. Based on research conducted with over 700 IT professionals worldwide, the quarterly study combines 451 Research’s analysis with responses from a panel of more than 25,000 senior IT buyers and enterprise technology executives.
Key insights from the study:
- Storage spending will be healthy in 2016, with over 70% of respondents expecting to increase their storage spending over the next 12 months, compared to 2015. However, storage spending growth in Europe and among very large organizations (over 10,000 employees) will be weaker than average, as will spending in the government and utilities verticals.
- On average, spending on public cloud storage will account for 17% of total enterprise storage spending by 2017, up from 8% today. In some verticals – such as retail – the public cloud will account for 25% of total storage spending by 2017. Spending on on-premises storage will fall from 70% in 2015 to 58% in 2017.
- While the traditional storage players, led by EMC, dominate the list of strategic players today, this looks set to change over the next two years. Both Amazon Web Services and Microsoft become top five storage vendors by 2017.
- From a storage products perspective, spending will increase the most on public cloud and all-flash arrays, while spending on traditional SAN and NAS products will be more muted. The largest spending declines will be on tape products.
- Dealing with data and storage capacity growth is by far the single greatest pain point for storage managers. Respondents cited improved backup and disaster recovery as top storage objective for 2016.
Learn more about the Q4 Voice of the Enterprise: Storage research findings on January 28, at 11am EST, during our upcoming webinar: ‘451 Research Presents its 2016 Enterprise Storage Outlook’. Register now.