A study carried out by cyber security specialist Venafi has confirmed existing fears that in most cases of paying the ransom, extortion simply continues.
Key findings include:
- 18% of victims who paid the ransom still had their data exposed on the dark web.
- 8% refused to pay the ransom, and the attackers tried to extort their customers.
- 35% of victims paid the ransom but were still unable to retrieve their data.
- 83% of all successful ransomware attacks featured double and triple extortion.
- 38% of ransomware attacks threatened to use stolen data to extort customers.
- 35% of ransomware attacks threatened to expose stolen data on the dark web.
- 32% of attacks threatened to directly inform the victim’s customers of the data breach incident.