Two-thirds of companies name regulatory compliance and information security standards as the top reason for securing data in the cloud.
The research by Ciphercloud found that 32 per cent say that unprotected data in the cloud was a primary concern, whilst only two per cent cite malware protection for documents and lack of enough secure cloud file sharing solutions.
Of the 12 vertical industries profiled, healthcare (38 per cent) topped finance (25 per cent) as the leading sector adopting cloud data protection. Together, they accounted for 63 percent of all organisations with a data security mitigation strategy.
Pravin Kothari, founder and CEO, CipherCloud, said: “Organisations are harnessing cloud computing to more effectively compete in the global economy with faster time to market and cost efficiencies. At the same time, the headwinds of privacy legislation in North America, Europe, South America and Asia Pacific make the case for data-centric protections in the cloud. Our research indicates that compliance factors are galvanising organisations, particularly in Healthcare and Finance, to fortify their data defences in the cloud.”