Target Corp. has reached a deal with Visa to settle claims over a massive 2013 data breach that exposed 40 million debit and credit card accounts. Both companies confirmed the agreement Tuesday, but wouldn’t put a dollar amount on it. A person familiar with the situation said Target has agreed to fund up to $67 million in pre-tax payments to Visa and the financial institutions that issued the cards.
Minneapolis-based Target said that the issuers of a majority of the cards that were compromised have entered into direct settlements with Target and Visa, giving the two companies the green light to make a larger deal.
“The costs of the settlement are already reflected in Target’s previously reported fiscal 2013 and 2014 results,” Target said in a statement to NBC News. The agreement comes three months after a proposed $19 million settlement between Target and Mastercard fell through as not enough banks accepted the deal.
View full story